The Oberndorf camera office (forerunner of the tax office) sold the tithe barn and the associated garden to the municipality of Beffendorf for 800 guilders on July 23, 1838. The barn already existed during the Austrian rule before 1806.
The Story of the Traube
The farrenstall was added to the tithe barn by the municipality in 1844.
The municipal council and citizens’ committee decided in February to sell the tithe barn to the highest bidder. Mayor Sebastian Haaga acquired the building for 2,470 guilders. The farrenstall remained the property of the community.
Johannes Haaga changed part of the tithe barn into living quarters and opened the tavern “zur Traube”. On July 21st, Johannes Haaga had his Schildwirtschaft entered in the commercial register.
Karl Krämer, farmer and widower in Winzeln (Kirchentannen) bought the residential and economic building from the grape owner Johannes Haaga on December 21st.
On February 1st, Karl Krämer was able to move into building number 51 and run the business. Albertine Bubenhofen from Altoberndorf supported Karl Krämer as his wife. A guest stable took in the horses when the carters parked their wagons or the chaise (a kind of wickerwork wagon to be pushed) in the courtyard. If, after the Oberndorf cattle market, the farmers treated themselves to a fourth meal in the Gasthaus zur Traube, they tied the cattle to the chains that hung on iron posts in front of the house. Behind the house was a carriage shed and cold beer was stored in the ice cellar. In severe winters, foreign factory workers who could no longer return to their villages from the Mauser works spend the night on a straw bed at the grape host.
Alfons Krämer inherits the Gasthaus zur Traube.
At that time, groceries, wool and haberdashery were available in the grocery store (next to the restaurant on the ground floor).
Maria Haag from Seedorf married the grape owner Alfons Krämer on October 27th. The bridal couple celebrated two days with the guests from Beffendorf and Seedorf.
Alfons Krämer dies on May 11th. His wife Maria inherits the property. The widow continued to run the inn, the shop and the farm.
The community sold the Farrenstall on July 9th to Maria Krämer.
The general store is enlarged. The range now also included small textiles, wines and spirits.
Maria Krämer dies on October 11th. The children inherited the legacy.
Bruno Armbruster, bricklayer and tiler from Sulgen and Mathilde Krämer, daughter of the married couple Alfons and Maria Krämer, married on April 19th.
Mathilde, née Krämer, bought the property from the community of heirs on June 23.
The old building was torn down in the spring and rebuilt again according to contemporary requirements.
The restaurant is reopened. The new building took place in two stages. Only the cellar remains of the old building. This remained because they wanted to build the new restaurant in the same place. Without the basement being preserved, the new building would have had to be erected at a greater distance from the street.
Bruno Armbruster dies surprisingly on October 14th.
In January his son, Holger Armbruster, takes over the family business. This year a small playground and a petting zoo with pygmy goats will be built next to the beer garden.
The facade is scaffolded. The inn receives full thermal insulation and a new look. Due to the onset of winter, it will not be completed until spring 2006.
Holger Armbruster marries Melanie Schmitzberger (from Austria) on November 13th. The two had met in Switzerland while doing seasonal work in St. Moritz. From this point on, they run the Gasthof zur Traube together.
After several minor renovations, the 2nd floor of the Traube is expanded. There are 7 new rooms in the attic. Previously, only one room was habitable for overnight guests on this floor. The rest of the building was still in the shell at this point. A new counter was also installed that year. On August 31, the church wedding of Holger and Melanie Armbruster is in the home parish of the bride in Austria (Mühlheim am Inn)
The first floor of the inn is being rebuilt. Four guest rooms with shared toilets become three modern rooms, each with its own bathroom. Now up to 26 people can stay in 10 new rooms.
The property adjacent to the inn (next to the beer garden) is being converted into a large playground. At this point a street used to lead into Hohlgasse. After the site was filled up, a green area was created there, which to this day belongs to the city of Oberndorf. Since important supply lines run along there, this area could not be bought. Therefore, the beer garden and the playground are still on leased land to this day.
A solar system comes on the roof.
Mathilde Armbruster dies surprisingly on May 5th, 2014. She turned 77.
The extension with 10 more rooms is inaugurated.
The courtyard is paved. Now you can get to the restaurant without barriers.